Triggered Email Marketing & Great Brand Examples
Using triggered email marketing ensures you are sending your contact a targeted and automated email based on how they are acting or behaving through their individual journey. A triggered email is sent to a contact when they are active with specific aspects of your brand, whether that is social media channels, your website or other channels, meaning they receive a conversational email based on their interactions.
Once a lead has converted from a prospect to a customer your automated triggers may then be amended to attempt to keep them within the lifecycle customer journey.
Transactional emails are sent as a result of a transaction, which could be an order confirmation, password reset or delivery notification. This is content which a customer is awaiting to inform them further and these campaigns often have a high open and click rate as the content is providing relevant and informative updates.
Transactional emails may contain the following:
- Thank you (sale confirmation)
- Delivery confirmation
- Review / refer to a friend / discount campaign
- Because you bought (a) we thought you may be interested in (b) (Upselling)
- Tell us what you like (survey)
- Have you seen our latest and greatest? (Upselling)
- Season’s greetings (Discount)
- Loyalty discount
- Have we done something wrong? (If they lack engagement, focus on list hygiene)
- Do you still love us? (opt out, data cleanse)
Here are some examples of event triggered emails:
- New subscriber Welcome sequence
- Lead to email list welcome
- Welcome series for new customer
- Reactivation of customers (inactive or nonengaged customers)
- Abandoned shopping cart (Left cart without completing purchase)
- Abandoned Browser (Unexpectedly left site without placing items in cart)
- Repurchase (Product purchase reminder, supply shortage)
Here are some great examples of brands who use email triggers well:
Re-engagement from Birchbox:
Cart abandonment from Kate Spade:
Thank you from Kate Spade
Feedback Survey from Selfridges
Order confirmation from Asos
Birthday discount from Gap:
Re-engagement from Urban Outfitters:
To read further about how to use data to implement smarter automation, please download the whitepaper. Learn how to implement these techniques into your own marketing strategy.